Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Hoops Talk and More!

We're Live!!!!

So here it is, our own very own sports blog dedicated to all aspects of hoops, football and clever societal humor and pop culture! This blog is brought to you by two regular guys who, in another life, would be shooting 3’s for the Celtics or throwing touchdown passes to Plaxico Burress. Well enough about our sorrows of not making it to the bigs, we’ll leave the sobbing to people like Britney Spears when K-Fed spends another $10 million to rap to an audience of teenagers.

Personally, I’ve been a hoops nut, freak, savant since the 1983-1984 NBA season. At the time I was only 5 years old, and while Lego’s, Hot Wheels and G.I. Joe figures seemed to dominate my attention, a team consisting of blue collar-type athletes playing in front of a blue collar-type crowd began to make their way into my life: The Boston Celtics. I began to idolize the man Bill Simmons refers to as the Basketball Jesus, none other than Larry Legend. I was hooked. That year, the Celtics topped the Lakers in an overtime, game 7 victory lead by Larry Bird, Robert Parish, Kevin McHale, Cedric “Cornbread” Maxwell, Dennis Johnson, and Gerald Henderson (little did I know that years from now his son would don the jersey of my absolute favorite sports team of all time). Basketball simply became my life and like most young jocks, I hit game winning shots in my driveway over the likes of Dr. J, Charles Barkley and Michael Jordan with unrealistic intentions of going pro!

In 1992, I was captivated by yet another team, this time it was college basketball. Down by 2, 2.6 seconds and the length of the court to go – that’s right: Duke vs. Kentucky, the best basketball game I ever witnessed. I was hooked, again…and this time the jersey of choice was…DUKE. That’s right all you haters – feel free to bring the thunder!

To make a long story short, and I think you get the hint, basketball for me is not just a sport, but an obsession. I had a descent high school career and even played a little college ball. Now, I not only watch the games, but I watch the plays being run during the games, the movements by the players, the body language of the coaches, you name it. I’m also the only white person in New Jersey working on my 5th year subscription with SLAM magazine as well as ScoutHoops.com so I can monitor up and coming high school players. Yes, this is a sickness, but a sickness that I hope never goes away. With that said, I look forward to bantering with you about all aspects of basketball and sometimes other sports. Beginning October 13th (Midnight Madness), the frequency of my blogs will increase as the college hoops season begins. In the meantime, picture a five foot, eleven inch white sitting on the thrown reading SLAM magazine!!!

Speak to you soon, Deuce…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home